Reasearchers* have discovered:
Even [when their children are] as young as 22 months, American parents draw boys’ attention to numerical concepts far more often than girls’. Indeed, parents speak to boys about number concepts twice as often as they do girls. For cardinal-numbers speech, in which a number is attached to an obvious noun reference — “Here are five raisins” or “Look at those two beds” — the difference was even larger. Mothers were three times more likely to use such formulations while talking to boys. [Read more here.]
Hey moms…let’s combat this trend!
*My girl, Alicia, is the mastermind behind this study (Way to go Chang!). Can I just tell you how useful it is to have a friend who is a cognitive and developmental psychologist. She is like my very own mom-tutor!
i don’t have a boy, so naturally i can’t compare. but we talk about numbers with harley ALL the time. and it’s so wonderful now that she’s really starting to understand the concepts of counting when she tells us how many of something she sees - yesterday i had taken her umbrella stroller and the snap n go out of my trunk and when i picked her up from school it was the first thing she noticed in the entry of the house - “look mommy, TWOOOOO strollers.”
and a few weeks ago greg started putting change in her piggy bank w/ her at the end of the day (so now of course whenever he gets home she says, “DADDY! I WANT MONEY!”) and teaching her about the coins.
watching her learn will always be one of my greatest pleasures.
- mentalcartwheels likes this
- peachkinn reblogged this from curious-earth
- macaroni-hexagon reblogged this from curious-earth
- curious-earth reblogged this from emphasisadded
- judiism reblogged this from emphasisadded and added:
- citizenkerry likes this
- lifemoreexciting likes this
- gradschoolroundtwo likes this
- tallgirltales likes this
- quyenhuynh likes this
- wanderlustingk likes this
- ayaros likes this
- texturism likes this
- bimsk likes this
- relovingit said: Awesome study!
- relovingit reblogged this from emphasisadded and added:
- relovingit likes this
- therewritingprocess likes this
- middlenameconfused likes this
- inthefamilyway reblogged this from emphasisadded and added:
- lifeisabeachchair likes this
- thenewgirlinnewyork said: Even as a former teacher I had never thought about this, that’s really interesting. I’m all about raising non math phobic girls and this is a great start!
- anneofgreentables likes this
- juliajane likes this
- noraleah likes this
- imaginingherfootprints likes this
- messily likes this
- archiving-it-all likes this
- babytakesmanhattan likes this
- jesssbedazzle said: Very interesting. I guess I focus more on colors with my niece than anything - but math gives me anxiety
- profashional said: boy or girl, my kid isn’t going to hear jack from me about math! i’ll leave that to his/her engineer dad. cool article though.
- dealwithitdotgif likes this
- emphasisadded posted this