11 12 / 2013
i actually really thought about something with music, so that’s a great idea, thank you!! (also loved your tweet btw.)
brianne. this made me snort laugh. inappropriately loudly at the office. you’re a delight.
11 12 / 2013
did some more intense googling this afternoon and a snow machine is sadly a no go.
the place i found near-ish to me that offered one was just for ‘a snow falling special effect’ - it doesn’t make any snow that sticks around.
so i’m back to needing another physical activity to let the tasmanian devils get some energy out.
in the meantime you can find me over here, crossing all the fingers and toes and whatever other superstitious thing you can think of to encourage snow to fall, naturally, on december 28th. preferably ALL in my backyard.
11 12 / 2013
some more thoughts (and thanks for the suggestions so far!)
- i think i’ll do tattoos as a mini-activity - like a ‘tattoo station’ while the kids are playing, so that gives me an add’l. “thing” going on, plus something they basically get to keep/take home
- i was hoping for a more physical activity, instead of a craft, just to keep them moving. i didn’t mention in the original post that i’ve actually looked into renting a snow machine to make snowmen… but abandoned the idea for a few reasons, one of which was that it might eat up a lot of party time getting the kids out of their snow clothes and back in the house. but it just occurred to me if we do the inside part of the party first, they can just go straight home after playing outside…?
- for some stupid reason i underestimated the availability of stuff in our ‘theme’ since the theme isn’t super conventional (i.e., disney related). turns out (OF COURSE) there’s plenty of snowman/snowflake party supplies to be found (derrr christmas parties) so now for favors - a cute snowflake mug w/ hot cocoa mix, the cookie, and some stickers. DONE.
11 12 / 2013
Yes, boys like stickers. And tattoos. Maybe parents don’t like tattoos? I dunno…I don’t mind them.
thank you thank you! and tattoos are a great idea i somehow totally forgot about. perfect.
11 12 / 2013
in completely typical judi fashion i’ve agonized over every detail & ultimately almost missed the opportunity to even put something together for harley’s birthday… BUT … i’m getting a little better and turning off the don’t-do-it-at-all-if-it’s-not-perfect voice in my head and just doing something, so i went ahead and created and printed invites the other night and even though they weren’t omgpinterestamazing, they were eh, pretty cute. and that is FINE.
we’re doing a snow/snowman/winter wonderland thing because a couple of weeks ago i asked harley what she wanted to do for her birthday, and she told me, “a snowman birthday party” and i basically wanted to jump up and down that she hadn’t said princess party, so i RAN with the idea to make this super adorable and fun for her.
ok SO… for activities:
- pin the carrot on the snowman
- a snowman pinata
- decorating big snowman cookies
but i feel like i need something else. any other ideas?
- the cookies the kids decorate
- a hot chocolate ‘kit’ (hot cocoa packet & marshmallows in a white to-go cup, possibly drawn on to look like a snowman if i’m in the mood)
but i feel like i need one more thing… could possibly just be some snow/snowman stickers or something, but will the boys be into stickers (i know i knowwww i’m not supposed to say that but shutupboysandgirlsaredifferentok)? a friend of mine had suggested gloves/mittens as favors, which is adorable, but unless i can find them in the target $1 bin, that’s probably not gonna happen.
can’t wait to share how it goes… thanks for any ideas you might have!
06 12 / 2013
"Teething is natural. A lot of research has been done which shows that babies are not more irritable or unwell when teeth come through."
Those researchers are all terrible at their jobs. And probably their babies were born with all their teeth. Or they had no babies.
Found when I discovered Mateo has an “eruption blister” over one of his forthcoming molars.
Evolution has really failed us here. Everything about teething is barbaric. For mother and child.
this makes no sense. child birth is natural too and it hurts a whole hell of a fucking lot. what a MORONIC thing to say.
not to mention, has this researcher ever had a g-d toothache him/herself? (let’s be honest, we know this was a him, for the aforementioned reason.)
03 12 / 2013
well thanks jess! while this is kinda making me feel like a throwback to like, livejournal days, i have a big soft spot for nostalgia of all kinds, so i can’t hate this. so here ya go…
1. Do you believe in soul mates? starting out with a tough one! i think i do, but i definitely don’t believe that has to mean there is one single, solitary match for each individual.
2. What’s the worst crime you’ve ever committed (whether you were busted or not)? i stole some stickers from a store when i was like …6ish? 7? i’m almost positive i knew what i was doing, but i wanted to see if i could get away with it. (i did.) (i realize that’s a lame one, but i guess i’m pretty tame.) and i used to see a lot of phish shows, so feel free to draw your own (accurate) conclusions.
3. Where is your favorite place on earth? i can’t pick just one! polebridge, montana; san francisco; a ski mountain pretty much anywhere in the world
4. What place do you most want to visit? brazil has been on my travel wish list for a long time
5. How many US states have you visited? i’ve taken three cross country road trips so i’ve been in all 48 of the continental states, and i’ve actually spent time in at least 39 of them. for some reason, i can’t remember really visiting any of these (nh, de, wv, sc*, ga, al, ms, ar*, mo), other than driving through (sorry if you live there, i’m sure your state is wonderful!) (*i did spend some quality time in a rest area in SC waiting for AAA, after locking our keys in the trunk; we exchanged the cooler we had bought for the road trip at a sports authority in little rock, because we realized we needed something smaller.)
6. If you could only eat three foods for the rest of your life, what would they be? this is HARD. manchego cheese, penne vodka bolognese from the italian place around the corner from my house, some really good nachos with guacamole (i’ll probably die of scurvy or something not having any real vegetables here. oops.)
7. Do you believe in ghosts? i have no strong opinion either way.
8. Beer, wine, or booze? Don’t even tell me you don’t drink. just totally depends on my mood. i love all three equally, like children.
9. Do you wish you had more or fewer siblings than you currently have? i always wished i came from a bigger family.
10. What are you most looking forward to in the near future? 2 weeks off at the end of the year(!) and my daughters’ birthdays coming up
11. Since we are currently in the throes of the holiday season, it seems apropos to ask: what’s your favorite holiday (and don’t say your birthday)? probably thanksgiving though i also really love NYE (unpopular opinion there, i know)